Whatbird Community

Hi,

Photo from last year, down near the southern coast of NJ.

Can anyone help me ID what kind of birds these are?  Sanderlings?  One of the numerous species of Sandpipers?  Or even Red Knots, I suppose, is a possibility.  (Photos 2 and 3 are the same individual, BTW.)

Thanks,

Steve

***Wherever you are in the world, I wish my fellow birders (and EVERYONE) continued health and safety in this present time of uncertainty.  Be well… ***

49777371756_57980ff81a_k.jpgP1280676e by sbutk, on Flickr

49777697177_1b4aa2ac1a_b.jpgP1290065e by sbutk, on Flickr

49776836358_f353c88ec3_z.jpgP1290066 - Capture 014e by sbutk, on Flickr

My shy-of-knowledge guess would be Sandpiper but which one....?  Hopefully an expert will jump in for the ID.

27 minutes ago, Boyd said:

My shy-of-knowledge guess would be Sandpiper but which one....?  Hopefully an expert will jump in for the ID.

They sure flew around in a bunch - "murmuring", I'm told it's called - like Sandpipers; but I will indeed wait for other opinions before settling on that conclusion.  Thanks for your reply!

Posted (edited)

I’m not to great with sandpipers, and I live on the west coast. It looks like these are mostly western sandpipers, with some semipalmated sandpipers with shorter bills. Also seems to be two semipalmated plovers in the first picture

Edited by Connor Cochrane

32 minutes ago, Connor Cochrane said:

I’m not to great with sandpipers, and I live on the west coast. It looks like these are mostly western sandpipers, with some semipalmated sandpipers with shorter bills. Also seems to be two semipalmated plovers in the first picture

Yeah, I knew about the plovers, thanks.  There were probably hundreds present that day.

Hopefully a Sandpiper expert will come along.

Thanks for your reply!  😊

1 hour ago, Phalarope713 said:

What time of year was this?

Late May.  Sorry I forgot to say that in the first place.

Mostly Semi Sands in first pic, which is what is expected for peep on the coast in late May, the Dunlin and Semi Plovers previously mentioned, and a smattering of Leasts. The last two pix are Least.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Tony Leukering said:

Mostly Semi Sands in first pic, which is what is expected for peep on the coast in late May, the Dunlin and Semi Plovers previously mentioned, and a smattering of Leasts. The last two pix are Least.

Thanks, I was hoping someone would address those other photos.

...And thank you, everyone, for the IDs!  😁