Whatbird Community

Pileated Plundering

I meant to post it in photos.  Yes, that's a Chestnut-backed Chickadee and that's her(?) nest in the box.  The Pileated Woodpecker was doing its best - to get at the nest I presume - before I scared it off by trying to take a photo of the scene.  I thought this was of some interest, but if it's not appropriate, I'll delete it.  🙂

8 minutes ago, Chickadee Fledgling? said:

I meant to post it in photos.  Yes, that's a Chestnut-backed Chickadee and that's her(?) nest in the box.  The Pileated Woodpecker was doing its best - to get at the nest I presume - before I scared it off by trying to take a photo of the scene.  I thought this was of some interest, but if it's not appropriate, I'll delete it.  🙂

You posted it in the right forum topic, Photo Sharing and Discussion. Nice photo, too!! The Pileated may have been trying to get through to the nest, or it may have been drumming. Some species of Woodpeckers will find a wood or metal object to peck on that makes a lot of noise, probably to try to attract a mate. I imagine a hollow wood box such as this nest box would make quite a lot of noise with a Pileated hammering on it with all his strength!! 🙂