Whatbird Community

Savannah Sparrow

4/23/2020 Corpus Christi Texas in the afternoon.  I am fairly sure this is a savannah sparrow but there are a couple things that make me question.  For one, I did not hear its unmistakable song, it doesn't have the streaks on its breast, and the beak/head junction doesn't look right.  It may be a Nelson's Sparrow but I'm not too sure about that either.  I've provided three pictures: the first two are of the same bird (one showing a profile, the other the top of the head). The last picture is likely a different bird of the same species but showing its back.

DSCN1312.JPG

DSCN1310.JPG

DSCN1241.JPG

3 minutes ago, MacMe said:

what do you mean by this?

You only have a certain amount of time to go back to your post and 'edit" it. I wanted to add my third post into my second post, but the edit clock beat me to it.  And was supposed to say HATE the edit time limit.

Edited by birdbrain22

2 hours ago, Jefferson Shank said:

All of these are Grasshopper Sparrows.

No, the last is a Savannah. You can clearly see the differences in streaking of both species. Also note the fact that Savannahs have bold malar stripes while Grasshoppers do not.

• Like 1