Whatbird Community
Bird-Boys

Rarest bird you've seen

What is the rarest bird you have ever seen?

Mine is a either a pair of ad. Emperor Geese seen at Point Piedras Blancas Motel, near San Simeon, CA or an Adult male Tufted Duck at A st. Ponds, Santa Maria, CA.

IMG_8237.JPG

225315621.jpg

• Like 1

Mine would probably be a Common-Ringed Plover at Abbot’s Lagoon, CA. Pictures were bad as we saw these birds just after sunrise at 7 in the morning. We were so early no one else was there and we thought that the bird left somewhere else and we didn’t hear about it. We also saw a Red-throated Pipit just an hour later at the same spot. 

76749F3D-8F4C-4255-BF55-CB2BBC7F816C.jpeg

• Like 1

Rarest across the states or regionally? Because regionally (and I don’t have pictures for this), it would be a Western Grebe at Riverlands Migratory Bird Sanctuary (West Alton, MO) earlier this week. 

• Like 1

Rarest overall would be Northern Lapwing in 2013. My only Code 4. Seen about an hour from the coast in Georgia. The only picture I got was terrible, because he was pretty far out in a field.

8495099993_b0e9e9fc70.jpglapwing1 by midgetinvasion, on Flickr

Rarest for my state would be Mountain Bluebird, I believe. It was two years ago, and to my knowledge, it was the first time the bird had been seen in the state. He was here in Augusta for a day, hanging out with the Eastern Bluebirds on the airport fence, and then he was gone.

38987292660_1d237b6503.jpgMountain Bluebird by midgetinvasion, on Flickr

• Like 2

Little Egret, Northern Lapwing, Barnacle Goose, La Sagra’s Fly, Common Ringed Plover, Tufted Duck, Masked Booby, Shiny Cowbird, Ruff, Rose-throated Becard, Five-striped Sparrow, Black-capped Gnatcatcher. 

For my home state of NC: Cinnamon Teal, Eared Grebe, Black-legged Kittiwake, Black-headed Gull, Black-chinned Hummingbird, Buff-bellied Hummingbird, Pacific Loon, Swainson’s Hawk, Rough-legged Hawk, Burrowing Owl, Say’s Phoebe, Ash-throated Flycatcher, Western Kingbird, Golden-crowned Sparrow, Connecticut Warbler, and Kirtland’s Warbler.

Plus the aforementioned Little Egret, Ruff, Common Ringed Plover, and Northern Lapwing were all seen in-state. 

Spotted Redshank Code 4 in Michigan

91a4942_orig.jpg

Rarest one I’ve found is this County First Summer Tanager in my yard

large

• Like 1

Rarest I’ve seen was a Sinaloa Wren in AZ

Rarest I’ve found was a Bar-tailed Godwit in Virginia 

Rarest I’ve found include Shiny Cowbird in S FL, Glaucous Gull, Lapland Longspur, Western Kingbird in NC, American White Pelican in my county and Orange county’s (central NC) first Clapper Rail, Three-toed in Montana. 

For Washington I saw the Siberian accentor and the real odd one was a crested caracara.  

Green jay, Western tanager Delaware, Worm Eating warbler Maine, Little gull Maine