Whatbird Community

These birds were in the ocean during a storm hanging out in a cove, white with slate gray backs and black heads with big white eye rings and red bills, a slight pinkish tinge on the bellies, and long wings that stuck out behind them when swimming I was wondering if a laughing gulls ever get a pinkish tinge on there bellies because they would be much more common seeing as I am in Maine.

sorry for no picture.

Posted (edited)

As far as I know, Laughing Gulls do not ever have pinkish tinge on the underparts like a Franklin's Gull. However this is a pretty subtle mark and you should probably not base the identification of an out of range Franklin's based solely on this.

Franklin's Gulls are smaller, more delcate, more "dove-like" in structure than Laughing Gull, with a smaller thinner bill, and broader, more prominent white eye arcs. Franklin's also have more white in the tips of the primaries. It would probably require some of these ID marks to be sure of an out of range Franklin's.

Franklin's Gull would be really rare. But theoretically possible.

Edited by AlexHenry
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Look at the tips of the long wings. If there are obvious white tips on very primary = Franklin's

If not, Laughing

And, yes, most gull species can have pink, as it's a food-derived carotenoid pigment that provides the color. Franklin's spend their winters in a much different place than most Maine gull species, though some Laughers get that far south. So, I think that any gull eating whatever the pigment source is could lay it into their alternate-plumage feathers. I've seen pink Ring-billed and a few pink Laughers, but they're usually nowhere near as pink, though many Franklin's are also nowhere near as pink.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1