Whatbird Community

So, a group on FB I run for birding in Massachusetts(link in signature), like a lot of facebook groups there's a good mix of inexperienced birders (or, non-birders entirely) that like to throw out IDs and feel very sure about them. It's always interesting...(reminds me of another group where someone once saw a 3 foot plus woodpecker... said it was bigger than an eagle... ha)

Anyway... someone posted a picture of a raven... I'm not an expert on ravens AT ALL... but, it looked okay to me. I saw nothing to make me doubt. It's a good picture. Then someone called it an osprey... I think they're looking at a tiny image on their phone. Later someone said it was a raptor because of the bill... the angle makes that very difficult to judge... but, I sure don't see ANY kind of raptor in the picture.
The only real question, in my mind, is whether it's for sure a raven or just a crow. I'm leaning raven but want some more informed opinions. Thanks

https://scontent-dfw5-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/95166883_705657063504176_3968578231367368704_o.jpg?_nc_cat=109&_nc_sid=ca434c&_nc_ohc=aQA_SStJ1L4AX89Gk-L&_nc_ht=scontent-dfw5-1.xx&oh=4f5fcafbc3d1d9971c2dc35bd5edb2cb&oe=5ECE35B6

Posted (edited)

That's a Raven.The photo almost looks like an illustration. The notched tail and the heavy bill point to raven. It's crazy how people throw out ID's like Osprey

Edited by Connor Cochrane

6 minutes ago, millipede said:

there's a good mix of inexperienced birders (or, non-birders entirely) that like to throw out IDs and feel very sure about them.

A good example of the Dunning-Kruger effect. 🙂

Thanks for the confirmation...

@The Bird Nuts  You two need to get out more. I often feel like you know more about birds than I but, my life list is longer.  You're beating me on the yard list though... I think mine is in the 140's somewhere.

@gstacks  I hope most people outgrow that... as they learn. Early on(been birding about 6 years now I think) I made some mistakes that I was pretty confident I was right about... These days I question a LOT of things. If I'm unsure, I'll admit it. 🙂

• Like 2

I think it was Ben Franklin who said that knowledge is the only brew for which the more you drink the more sober you get. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, millipede said:

@The Bird Nuts  You two need to get out more. I often feel like you know more about birds than I but, my life list is longer.  You're beating me on the yard list though... I think mine is in the 140's somewhere.

I (Bird Nut #1) do want to get out more, but I don't find traveling much fun, even to local places.  Too much stuff I want/need to bring, too little room in the car or in my backpack, hard to find good bathrooms......yeah.  A hike up a mountain is supposed to be relaxing, but I always feel a little rushed and stressed.