Whatbird Community

I am not good with identifying hawks.  I saw this one in a tree at Honey Island Swamp in Louisiana.  Can someone let me know what kind of hawk it is.  Thanks.

P1460597.JPG

Thanks.  What are some of the things to look for to tell what it is.  I looked in the bird book and they all look alike to me.  I can usually tell a red shouldered and red tail, but that's about it.

Just now, 1snowyowl said:

Thanks.  What are some of the things to look for to tell what it is.  I looked in the bird book and they all look alike to me.  I can usually tell a red shouldered and red tail, but that's about it.

Sorry, I would've given you some ID points if I wasn't so bad at explaining!  What I usually look at is the compact shape and the muted reddish-brown barring on the breast and belly (on adults).  They also have a pretty unique face, but I can't explain why.  :classic_unsure:  Eastern Red-taileds are bulkier and have a band of vertical streaks across the belly with a white breast.  Red-shouldered Hawks have black and white checkered patterns on the wings, lighter heads, and orange barring on the breast and belly.

With buteos, always look at the tail pattern if you can -- I think they use them as a distant species-recognition signal. It's harder in juveniles, but in adults they're diagnostic. (It's a bit harder with a couple of the western species, Gray and Swainson's, but Gray is quite local and the two look quite different otherwise.)

• Like 3

Best thing to do, if you're really serious about it, is to invest in a good bird book. Peterson's books are excellent,  for not a lot of money.  Stay away from books that want to know where you found/heard/saw the bird and won't give you any clues otherwise.   And some birds are regional, some are migratory-specific, which can help to narrow it down, too.

OMG

My heart skipped a beat when I thought pweet had returned.  Unfortunately it was a year old post. 😫

• Sad 3