Whatbird Community

The bird was flying fairly high, flapping it’s wings vigorously then taking a moment to soar and call/sing and then repeating. I observed it on two occasions about an hour apart at the same general location. This was in a large expanse of native grassland. I recorded a video of it (the first photo is a still from the video) but the wind overpowers the audio. If I can figure out how to extract a decent audio clip, I will post one.

12 minutes ago, Connor Cochrane said:

I Brightened a few as well. It would be helpful to know where in Alberta. I'm thinking western Bluebird

untitled.JPG.e3364b23ddb99e1fdec7e254a07424c1.jpeg

P1460169.JPG.ef3ab1f6c801394e0d497abca1e703b5.jpeg

Twin River Heritage Rangeland Natural Area at approximately 49.1588, -112.3646 which I believe is outside of Western Bluebird range. 

Edited by slidinghills

15 minutes ago, Connor Cochrane said:

Not a mountain I don't think. Maybe it could be a Robin. Kind of looks like a thrush. Other common birds in the area are HOLA and CCLO but I don't think it's those

Thoughts on Sprague’s Pipit? They perform a song flight high in sky and their profile (from Sibley drawing) appears very similar to the bird I photographed though the tail length in the first photo appears longer.

74B94BCF-73F6-4E8F-8FAB-F3F0302A07DA.jpeg

3 minutes ago, Jefferson Shank said:

Maybe we hit the jackpot now...

I just listened to a couple of flight song videos on YouTube and I feel confident it is the same song I was hearing plus a few other photos I found online look very similar.

Thanks everyone for your input.

Edited by slidinghills