Whatbird Community

I’ll just say what I was thinking. This isn’t a Rock Pigeon, at least not fully. That bill is way too long. It looks more like something like a White-crowned...

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

The longer bill could be from domestic influence.

The red plumage on this bird looks very irregular and has different opacities. I think it accidentally dipped in some red paint. It's certainly not blood with that kind of color.

Edited by akandula
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

The longer bill could be from domestic influence.

The head shape is not a normal Rock Pigeon shape either.

BTW, these pictures were puled out of my files from 3 and a half years ago.

Edited by Jefferson Shank

32 minutes ago, Jefferson Shank said:

The head shape is not a normal Rock Pigeon shape either.

BTW, these pictures were puled out of my files from 3 and a half years ago.

Agreed. Head shape isn’t right. 

• Like 1

There is definitely something weird going on, it looks like a crazy genetic mix of pigeons that flew into someone’s red paint. Also something about the shape in picture one looks very rock pigeon like to me, but I see what your saying with bill shape.

• Like 1

Sorry to be so late in responding to this one, but have had a lot of things going on and have not been on in awhile. That is a rock pigeon for sure,  nothing out of the ordinary, except for the yellow/golden/orange color on the breast.  If that is actually on that bird, then it is a mosaic, which is a genetic aberration in color that is not all that uncommon in pigeons. Think calico coloration in cats. Its simply a pied mosaic. 

• Like 1

The first bird pictured is a white crowned pigeon, which inhabit extreme southern florida. Middle just a rock pigeon. 

The most common of these factors is the “dominant red”

The pigeon is not alone among birds in exhibiting flecking. Essentially the same phenomenon, under names such as “fault feathering” or “exceptional feathers,” is found in the “blue” domestic duck, the slate turkey, and several sorts of chickens, such as Barred Plymouth Rocks, Andalusians, and dominant whites

Both quoted from WILLARD F. HOLLANDER AND LEON J. COLE

16.full(1).pdf

Ahhhhhh, Doc Hollander, an old, sometimes mentor. He was the expert in pigeon genetics.