Whatbird Community

Oriole? Or something else...

We caught this bird on our motion camera a year ago today... we are on the southwestern coast of Oregon... I thought it was a Bullock’s or Baltimore oriole... but now that I’ve learned a little more about birds... the beak seems wrong and the markings especially around the eye not quite right... I’ll attach a picture here and then add some video I also have on my PC later if needed

6B9A396D-670B-41FF-81E1-B722C2E1A109.jpeg

Defiantly Black Headed Grosbeak. Not the chunk overall appearance. Black above and below the bill on the face. Orioles are only below the bill. The finch like beak also points to Black-headed Grosbeak. Orioles have a down curved beak, and won't be eating seeds of of a feeder. In fact they're often seen on hummingbird feeders. In Oregon the only orangish oriole is Bullocks, which is still yellow colors, and has a giant white wing patch. In grosbeak, you can usually see the distinction between yellow and orange on their stomach. 

Edited by Connor Cochrane
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Connor Cochrane said:

Defiantly Black Headed Grosbeak. Not the chunk overall appearance. Black above and below the bill on the face. Orioles are only below the bill. The finch like beak also points to Black-headed Grosbeak. Orioles have a down curved beak, and won't be eating seeds of of a feeder. In fact they're often seen on hummingbird feeders. In Oregon the only orangish oriole is Bullocks, which is still yellow colors, and has a giant white wing patch. In grosbeak, you can usually see the distinction between yellow and orange on their stomach. 

Thank you for the explanation and great info... moved to Oregon just over a year ago and still learning so much about birding and our local flock, super appreciate the help😁

Edited by KeleeEiselein
Spelling