Whatbird Community
Sign in to follow this  

Greetings,

This photo was taken on August 8, 2017. Upon looking at the photo again many years later, I did not even notice the second raptor!

I am assuming the top bird is a Short-tailed hawk (Correct me if I'm wrong); however, the bottom one is giving me trouble. I want to say it's a dark morph short tailed, but its barred belly is giving me trouble.

P1600314.JPG

Upon Recollection the top one might be a "Krider's" Red tailed hawk due to the lighter coloration while the bottom might just be a juvenile red-tailed.

1 minute ago, Mush said:

Upon Recollection the top one might be a "Krider's" Red tailed hawk due to the lighter coloration while the bottom might just be a juvenile red-tailed.

That seems correct. The top bird isn't a Short-tailed, as the underneath of the tail would be barred, and wrong facial pattern. I'm not sure what ssp. the Bottom bird would be

I don't think the upper bird is Krider's, or at least not pure Krider's, which would have much more white on the head and much purer white underneath.  Other than that, I'm stumped.