Whatbird Community
Sign in to follow this  
jim bird

Phil or Warbling Vireo ?

My guess might be Philadelphia. Eyestripe goes all of the way to the bill. Underparts appear to be pretty yellow. Not certain though. 

Posted (edited)

Personally, this bird strikes me as a WAVI. In my experience, Philadelphia Vireo generally has a bluish tinge to the eyeline and cap, and the contrast of that against the yellow throat gives it a distinct 'cutesy' appearance. Here, particularly in the second picture, the cap is brownish, and there is little contrast in the temperature of the color between the light and dark areas of the face, which would suggest Warbling Vireo. Unfortunately, the highlights are pretty blown out, and the white balance seems skewed pretty far into yellow, though, so it's just tough to judge color or value with any accuracy at all. In the second photo, the brightest yellow certainly appears to be in the throat, which of course suggests Philadelphia Vireo, but I think that is just due to the fact that the belly of the bird is blown out, and thus isn't necessarily accurate.

The eyeline of this bird is not particularly strong, and if anything I think it lies about in the middle of normal variation between the two species. I've attached a photo which is relevant to the discussion (disclaimer: it is not my picture). On the left is a WAVI, and on the right is PHVI. Notice that the WAVI actually has a stronger eyeline than the pictured bird, and is overall very similar in my opinion.  The Philadelphia Vireo pictured is on the drabbest end of what PHVI can be, but notice that even here there is good contrast between the color temperature of the cap of the bird and the rest of the plumage (cap is bluish, everywhere else is yellow)

OP, did you shoot the image in RAW? If so, could you decrease the contrast, cool the image down, and decrease the saturation just a touch?

PHVI-WAVI.jpg

Edited by Benjamin
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Benjamin said:

OP, did you shoot the image in RAW? If so, could you decrease the contrast, cool the image down, and decrease the saturation just a touch?

While I'm not the OP, I'm curious about the ID, so I edited the photo

FullSizeRender-1897.thumb.jpg.d680478e58dd193e0d09a4f3f2b56a81.jpeg

CC, thanks, as I don't have the expertise.  Additional photos of what I believe to be the same bird.

FullSizeRender-1899.jpg

FullSizeRender-1900.jpg

FullSizeRender-1901.jpg

Hmm.... Very tricky. Shape and structure in the last three pictures say Philadelphia Vireo to me- it seems more compact and 'cute' than in the initial two photos. I'm still not really sure the true distribution of yellow on this bird. In some photos it appears relatively uniformly yellow in the throat and belly, in others it seems uniformly white, and others the yellow seems concentrated in the throat. In Connor's lightened image, it appears that there really isn't any yellow in the undertail coverts, so I think I might call this tentatively Philadelphia.