Whatbird Community
Rgoodwin

Confirm Nashville Warbler and ID help with Woodpecker

Seen today 5-1-2020 in Amarillo, TX.  The Nashville Warbler would be a lifer for me and for the other I am leaning toward Hairy Woodpecker.  The bill seems a bit bigger than Downey's and body size bigger than Downey as well.  But I a have been wrong before (once) Ha! Ha! 

Brisen Fallwell Sr. Photos (30 of 32)

Brisen Fallwell Sr. Photos (32 of 32)

Brisen Fallwell Sr. Photos (31 of 32)

Brisen Fallwell Sr. Photos (28 of 32)

I'm leaning Downy for the woodpecker.  If it had a normal amount of feathers at the base of the bill, I think the bill would look pretty short.  Also, the head and shoulder markings seem to fit Downy better.  @Rgoodwin  What was your impression of its size in the field?

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, The Bird Nuts said:

I'm leaning Downy for the woodpecker.  If it had a normal amount of feathers at the base of the bill, I think the bill would look pretty short.

i agree. if i had seen this in the field id have called it a downy right away and moved on. not sure how they typically look in TX, but in OH and NC the hairy bills are noticeably longer. heres a hairy that hangs out a lot by my house.

IMG_0832-1.jpg

Posted (edited)

Yeah, I agree with Downy. Bill would be noticeably longer and a tad heftier on Hairy. 

Edited by Phalarope713

I agree with Downy...the bill looks too sharp and pointed for a Hairy. And the lack of a shoulder spur is a good trait for Downy. 

Looking at the last photo, is it just me or does it look like part of the tail feathers are missing?  🙂

I have seen and photographed several Downy Woodpeckers in the past and their bill appeared smaller than this birds.  It also seemed a little larger than a Downy which is what I originally called it in the field, but I had reservations.   I changed my mind to Hairy after looking at the photos.  I will go with the consensuses and call it a Downy.  Also need to change in eBird.

Thanks