Whatbird Community

My aunt and uncle have had a family of these birds (2-3 juveniles and occasionally an adult) visiting their yard in Black Forest, CO for the last 2-3 weeks.  They show up at some point most days.  I got a brief look (sadly, without binoculars) the other day and am quite certain that they are too large to be Sharp-shinned.  Am I looking at Cooper's Hawks or Northern Goshawks?  The speckled back, uneven tail-bands, and appearance of a light-colored supercilium make me think Goshawks based on Sibley, but I am not sure and would love thoughts.  Thanks!

Photo 1

Photo 2

Edited by mhoerner

I agree, looks like a Cooper's. Gos have coarser streaking below that typically extends all the way to the undertail coverts. The uneven tail bands don't really work too well from below -- the outer pair of tail feathers don't seem to follow the same pattern as the rest. The white patches you see are on the scapulars, and Coops and Sharpies both frequently show white patches there at this age. On Gos, you want to look for pale buff spots on the wing coverts, below those scapulars.

• Like 1

Sorry that I posted the question and then didn't reply; work got very busy.  Thank you so much for the explanation as well as for the ID!